NEW: Christina Aguilera - Lotus



Introduction
Huge expectations for the new album by Christina Aguilera, Lotus is finally here for the fans and for the haters. This time, due to the poor success of her previous work Bionic, miss Aguilera decides not to wait too long before recording her follow up album. A lot of different inspirations, a new sound, more maturity in lyrics, well we all know these things, she keeps saying that all the time, isn't she? Okay, now it is time to have a listen to it. Here we go. Lotus


Track by Track

The introduction to the album is given by the title track Lotus. Slow, electronic and atmospheric track, very interesting album opener, a delicate indie sound. Nice way to start off!

Army of Me kicks in as track number two. Energetic pop song with a very contemporary sound, a bit Kelly Clarkson-ish which it is not a bad thing these days. Good Christina.

The electronic is back with Red Hot Kinda Love which at first listen appears as an easy song, the melodies are quite typical for Christina, the arrangement is not as usual. Not my cup of tea, it might be a bit too easy. Not a tragedy though.

The vibes is still present on the following Make The World Move. The best part of this song is actually the middle-8 where the music is a bit stripped down, not a fan of the “move-move-move-mo-move” of the chorus. Something is missing.

First single off the album, Your Body, makes its way in track number 5. We all know this song already (oh well, the charts are suggesting that maybe that's not true...), it cannot be praised for its originality but this is actually a very nice up-tempo dance-pop song with good vocals. So far, I'd say it was a good choice for a lead single, not sure if she actually needed something bigger. Surprised, in a good way, to find the “clean” version instead of the raw version.

Uh... she's going into dance music. Let There Be Love sounds like a typical American-style club song. I would personally leave this to other artists, Isn't she too good for this? I think she is. Not a good point for this album. And wait, where are my ballads?

There is one! Impatient me! Sing For Me starts gentle and then goes into a Ryan Tedder style ballad. It might not be a masterpiece but to me it is good to finally find that kind of “intimate” songs I got used to find in Christina's albums. Why not bringing a gospel choir at the end! Oh well, I feel happier now.


Now the moment I have been waiting for, since she released this track Blank Page and everybody seems to like it. Let's listen! I see, that's the concept of “intimacy” I was earlier referring to brought to its extreme: deep lyrics, soft and tender harmonies and minimal piano instrumentals. This is for the fans.

The nice twist comes with Cease Fire and its darker tune. Absolutely lovely harmonies and sounds, the atmosphere is clear and enjoyable. Very interesting track and maybe (maybe!) future single material. Happy once again with this song.

I knew this could not last too long. And in fact we take a little step back to the easier sounds with Around The World. The lyrics are not sublime at all. Again, not a song I would like to listen from her.

A quirky Circles follows. Unpolitical correct lyrics with a nice music, it reminds me of the nice Bubblehead we found on her previous album. The electronic sound is limited to some vocal effect on the chorus. Very enjoyable song.

The following track is promising good things by its title Best Of Me. Again I have the feeling this track follows the style of the track from the deluxe version of her previous effort. It reminds me of the sounds of Stronger Than Ever and Birds Of Prey. This is a compliment, for sure not single material but fans will be glad to here such continuity with that sound.

Just A Fool takes me even more back in time with a sound she put on a side for a long time. This song has some rock vibes (something similar to What's Up by the 4 Non Blondes). And then the featuring comes: Blake Shelton, her partner on the popular TV show The Voice, joins her with great vocals. Absolutely one of the highlights of the album. That's it for the Standard edition of the album. Let's take a look also at the bonus tracks.

Light Up the Sky is a huge power ballad, with great vocals and production. Not totally convinced by the style though, it is something that does not belong to her. Not sure way, but hey, this is a good song.

Another ballad follow with Empty Words. This sounds better even though less “epic” in the production than the previous track. What leaves me a bit uncertain is yet again this sound in the production that to me reminds me of Ryan Tedder some years ago.

Shut Up is a big step down in quality. Something in between the raw lyrics of Circles (but without the fun of that song) and the “wo wo” sound of Make The World Move which did not convince me earlier and now even less. Even the “lick my whoa” sounds very cheap. Sometimes the f* word is not enough to make a ghetto song. Badly impressed.

Useless remix of Your Body closes the album. My God what a bad way to close this Deluxe Edition. The first two tracks were okay but the rest make this edition something I could save my money by.

The verdict

I know a lot of fans were waiting so badly for this album to come so they could scream “take this, haters” and typically I am one of them. But, from what I've hear, this is absolutely not going to have from me the support I've personally gave to Bionic which to me is far superior to this. I do not care if she is going to sell more with this or if her popularity will make this album less forgettable (in terms of charts), but I cannot find the very high moments I found in Bionic. Putting this comparison aside for just a little bit, this album is just “nice” and this is not enough. Maybe I will give more credits to one or two songs with future listening but I am not impressed. Not a bad album, but as supporter of her carrier, this is a quality step back. Good moments: Lotus, the intro, is definitely a very nice track along with Blank Page, Cease Fire and also Circles. Best track is the duet with Blake Shelton Just A Fool, great pop-rock song.

3- /5


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Saturdays American venture: What about US?

Leona Lewis - Glassheart