EXCLUSIVE: Alicia Keys - Girl On Fire

Alicia Keys - Girl on Fire
Time for another exclusive review for the brand new album by Alicia Keys: Girl On Fire





Introduction

Soul Diva Alicia Keys comes back to the scene after the success of The Element of Freedom (2009) which has sold more than 4 million copies worldwide thus putting high expectations on this fifth studio effort. Surprise surprise she says that she is taking much more control on the direction of this album (please name ONE singer who didn't say that, and actually saying this for fifth album sounds kind of late, Aly). Anyway, are we ready to take a listen? Sure!


The Album


Sweet classic and instrumental intro with the piano on De Novo Adagio (Intro) and then the albums starts with Brand New Kind of Me which ironically is absolutely her typical sounds with a bunch of usual lyrics "there's a new me". Girls love this stuff, don't they? 

When It's All Over sounds like a nice rhythm'n'blues track: slow, with a nice bluesy instrumentals and lyrics are quite nice too. There is one thing that I really don't get the need of: "Everybody say hey hey hey" ... and when you think "Oh Gosh, this sounds cheesy" it actually get worse: what else can a woman put or her song: a baby! A baby who she says to "Can you say hey hey hey?" You gotta be kidding me. Putting these little things apart, this sound is something I wasn't listening too often (I am actually realizing that my last r'n'b sound belongs to the firsts records of Destiny's Child - that was r'n'b, I know it might sound weird).

Smooth and slow ballad with Listen to Your Heart. It is nice but some attention to the lyrics would have helped, it is a lit bit repetitive.  This first part of the album sounds like a good confirm of her soul sound. 
Some bit of drums are surfacing with New Day and, with my pleasure, a lot of so meaningful "ehhhhh". And a breakdown, too! The ending of this song is weird! Not sure if I've liked it or not.

Now it's time for the first single off the album Girl on Fire with Nicki Minaj. The featuring on the American rapper (who is appearing like everywhere) is the real and only element for the structure of the album. A part for that, the song follows the same sound: drums, tempo and vocals like the rest of the album. Nice move to call Nicki for this, nice song. I wander if the girl on fire is supposed to be Alicia. Not clear.

Let's go back to soulful and bluesy sounds with Fire We Make. Oh and let's go back to BeyoncĂ©'s first album! Totally had the feeling of a Me Myself and I sound. Semi falsetto, lower register, claps, a black male voice, this song suits perfectly an old and smoky music club. My favourite moment so far. Not radio friendly at all and probably not even potentially successful, but I am used to it. 

Tears Always Win is just an ok song. Yet again: same style. I would honestly say the same with Not Even the King but at least this one as nice lyrics. It is something, right? Maybe this is too stripped down for a three minutes track. 

Another love song follows: That's When I Knew. Very simple instrumentals, definitely not a huge vocal effort, it is basically once again all about the lyrics about falling in love. Maybe the too simplicity of the song, but this doesn't get exciting even with the raspy adlibs toward the end of the end. Could have been something bigger.

"One two three, to infinity, two three four,  it's ubiquity It's four five six, to a limitedless love"
...
Limitedless Love is not a lyrics masterpiece, as we can see. The rhythm is not that catchy as it might be. The lyrics are annoying, I have to admit while I am listening to this track. Again I have the feeling of something Beyoncé-esque without the fun part. I didn't get this one, sorry.

It is easy to get better after that song, and One Thing is a safe step back to the nice ballads Alicia can delivers. Soft guitar, gentle drum, nice vocal. Probably would have preferred the whole album to be this style. Absolutely one of my favourite songs.

Final track 101 is a slow slow slow piano ballad. It's more than 5 minutes long, plus a reprise. Don't exaggerate, Alicia ok? The reprise probably saves the song and gives the album an unexpected endings. "Hallelujah Hallelujah" she screams with an incredibly raspy voice that to me is not sounding nice at all. What a weird way to finish the album. What was that?


The Verdict


Time to sum up this album. First of all, let me say that on the first listen I didn't like almost anything of this album. It sounded too flat and maybe too slow. On the second listen I do have to say that I found its good moments. This is not a pop album that you easily listen to, it's soul, rhythm'n'blues, American old style, so you basically have to know if you could enjoy this sound. If you do, well take your time and find the best songs for you. I wouldn't say this is a masterpiece for a very simple reason: she had better material during her carrier. Maybe because of the collaborations, maybe because she was caring too much of too many things rather than focusing on choosing the songs and sing them, but still it might be an album that could set a nice atmosphere but I would put it just to listen to it (expect for few songs).

My recommends: One Thing,  Fire We Make, Girl on Fire
To be Forgotten: Limitedless

3-/5


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Saturdays American venture: What about US?

Leona Lewis - Glassheart