EXCLUSIVE: Girls Aloud - TEN


THE GREATEST "GREATEST HITS" EVER



The Leaders of the Pack - TEN

Three long years are finally over.
They are officially back. UK best girl-band of the last decade is releasing its second greatest hits collection. Once again they did it with style.

Note: this is going to be the very first review in which both of the crazy minds behind PopStonesHeroes are writing their own point of view. And they/we chose their/our pseudonyms! 

No introduction necessary but we have to

Few days ago we were screaming at the amazing Something New CD+Vinyl bundle and today we are finally able to hear the amazing new tracks for this second collection.

The Girls and their team already did an amazing job with their first Greatest Hits, The Sound of Girls Aloud: The Greatest Hits (2006) by releasing one of their biggest tune at the moment, Something Kinda Oooh!,  and by giving the fans an amazing second disc with previously unreleased tracks.

This time around they let the fans themselves choose the tracklist for the bonus disc and, with a delightful pleasure, the result was all about two things we love about the Girls: Tangled Up and B-Sides. You can check the complete list here (Wikipedia)

Now let's focus on TEN

The AMAZING tracks

Before going deeply in the review of the brand new tracks, let's take a quick overview on the track chosen for TEN. Of course, all the singles released from Tangled Up on made the cut, it is interesting to see which of the previous ones did not make it. Forget the ballads, the only one that survived is their second number-one hit I'll Stand By You (I have to say: it is a shame the cut Life Got Cold) and forget also Long Hot Summer. Actually, this makes Biology the only single from Chemistry present in the collection and this is really funny since two uptempos from the same album (plus a b-side) made the bonus disc, wrong choices back then, girls? But yet again, nothing is surprising, we all know that their are perfect with pop-dance tunes so we are not going to cry that much for this.

Now it is time to face the new tracks: Something New, Beautiful Cause You Love Me, On the Metro and Every Now and Then


Something New

Ryan Hugginz says:
What an amazing way to come back! This song is completely brilliant, the nonsense lyrics, Nadine's leading, everything is back to how it is supposed to be. Xenomania did an amazing job with this track. "We're the leaders of the pack", I do not have any idea on what this is supposed to mean but the sound of it with Nadine's accent on "p-hack" is gorgeous. The live performance (seriously live) at Strictly Come Dancing left me speechless. This is what I have been waiting for three damn years, I am not saying it was worth it because I do not want to justify this tremendous gap in my music life, but hey, it was amazing to see the Girls coming back with such a perfect track. And they are the leaders.

Leonard X says:
Ok, let's talk about Girls' Aloud new single. When I first listened to this track, I was a little dazed. Don't get me wrong, it was ages I was waiting for the girls to come back, with an uptempo and a Xenomania track. But in the beginning I just said, ok, it's very good but they could've done better. They've got so much potential. After several listens, watching the music video and the performances the song grew in me, and I have to say, it's really a good song, cheerful and rhythmic. Maybe it's all I was waiting for after three years of silence.

Beautiful Cause You Love Me

R:
For those who missed my total breakdown, let me just say that this is a ballad and this is not THAT bad. Lyrics are quite "I'm ugly but I have a man so f***k bitches" (that's what Xenomania would probably write it) and it is basically Nicola driven, which it is quite an offense because it is like saying "Who could talk about being ugly, hmm, lemme think about that". Anyway: no Nadine, no Xenomania, as long as this is not a bad song at all, it is not my cup of tea. I'm enjoying it really but there is more from this girls. And I hate to say it but: Nicola, sweety, didn't you get depressed enough with Yo-Yo or Sticks and Stones? (that was an amazing solo album, by the way Nic!)

L:
"Beautiful 'Cause You Love Me" it's the only ballad between the new material of this Greatest Hits. The gap between this song and the other unreleased material is quite big, by the way is another side of this new project I'd have loved to hear and I'm not disappointed at all. Smooth beat, lovely, romantic and self-confident lyrics. It's not just a ballad, it's one of THE ballads. And I find it perfect for being released just before Christmas, it really has the winter mood I love. The only thing I didn't like is the unbalanced singing parts of the girls. By the way, amazing job.

On The Metro

R:
She wanted to make it up to me, how sweet of Nicola! This track is co-written by her and the lyrics contain soda-pop and the beautiful line "I left my heart at the disco, now I'm crying on the metro", "I don't have your number, only got your name". Honey, it is facebook time, you can find him in 10 minutes: go on the facebook page of the disco, filter the people with his name, look at the tags and find him! That is stalking only if you go further, so guys home, do not do it. Can't believe I am actually in love with a song produced by somebody else, but I have to face it: it is single material.

L:
Here we are! This is my favourite track off TEN, I have to say it. I'm a big big Xenomania fan, but this unreleased song is just WOW. Just as "Every Now And Then", it's a song with a strong disco beat (the co-production with DJ Fresh is tangible) and the lyrics are so damn...mmm, what's the right word? Girls Aloudish? Yep. Nothing more to say, I'm in love with "On The Metro" and I'm quite sure it will be stuck in my head for weeks. Welcome back girls.

Every Now and Then

R:
I have to admit that on a first listen this was behind On The Metro, but I was wrong, this is as great as the previous. Melancholic lyrics mixed with club sound, infectious music and chorus, the voices are so well mixed it is a pleasure to say that this song could never be the same without all of them involved in it. I can totally see myself drunk moving along this song, thinking about somebody and whispering the lyrics. This is so good! Single material once again. Please, Girls, release as many singles as possible!

L:
Xenomania's produced track has a little but more hard beat then I expected from a Brian Higgin's track. By the way, it is reall y nice. I love the electronic sounds also in the slow beginning. In my opinion, it has got all the features of a classic uptempo Girls Aloud's song but it winkles to modern sounds. The love theme and the well written lyrics make it a very enjoyable track. I really love it. A four out of five.

The Verdict

R:
Speechless. I am totally happy about this because on one hand I would have prayed to have a total new studio album instead, but this is not just a simple Greatest Hits. This project is well done: great idea for the bonus disc, great new material, a new tour upcoming: simply great. And the new songs? Totally worth it. I can definitely say that they took a bit step back and continued with the sound of their best album Tangled Up. TEN has style, quality, fun, this IS all a Greatest Hits should be about.
If they are really giving it up as Queen Cheryl said in her damn autobiography, well I am going to be mad and call for a revolution. I simply can't stay for too long without this amazing music. This is Pop.

L:
After listening the amazing unreleased material, there is only one question: why a Greatest Hits? Let's be honest, there was no need. I'm really craving (now that I've heard the new song more than ever!) for a complete studio album from them, and I hope it will be released as soon as possible. The TEN project is by the way amazing, I love the idea of making a second disc with songs chosen by the fans (I find amazing the presence of "Hoxton Heroes", "Swinging London Town" and "Wake Me Up"). It's really the definitive collection of Girls Aloud (after, obviously, the Singles Box). Looks like UK has got 5 more queens.


5 / 5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Saturdays American venture: What about US?

Leona Lewis - Glassheart