Time for a different post here on PopStonesHeroes: this is TV time!


As you might have heard, last Thursday, on ITV2, the UK saw the (first) season of a new reality show/documentary called The Big Reunion. What is this about? Easy to say: remember those bands who had some pretty success back in late 90s/early 2000s? No? Perfect, the show is here to remind you about them since they are...wait for it... reuniting! Ta da da daaahh!!!





Now let’s talk about the groups involved in this project, they are:

5ive - well, more precisely 4our since J did  not take part to it
911 - I have no idea who they are, but I am going to check wikipedia, I promise!
B*Witched - prepare for some drama
Atomic Kitten - hear this: Jenny could not join the group, so guess who’s back: Kerry Katona!
Honeyz - with a very mixed line-up which includes two girls who never met before!
Liberty X - from Popstars 2001, they didn’t win but they were pretty good.

I will now give you 5 minutes to stop laughing.

Ok, most of the bands have a ridiculous line-up and this will make the show more entertaining from a TV and tabloids point of view. Oh, by the way, 5ive will look for a fifth member. Another 5 minutes of laughters are allowed.

Now. The only reason I, Ryan Hugginz, am talking about this show is because it features one of my bands I listened to when I was a baby: I am in love with Liberty X. I do not care if they didn’t win against Myleene Klass and the Hear’Say (I am imagining Kym Marsh making an angry face while hearing this), I do not care if they disappeared after their questionable third album! They had great songs, great image, they could sing and they were, and still ARE, smocking gorgeous!

So now you realize why I celebrated their brief come back by choosing their best ballad ever, The Poet (from second album Being Somebody) as out weekly jam. Listen to it and love it.

This is now how I lived the first episode of The Big Reunion:

Oh 5ive had a greatest hits album! Oh Simon Cowell was behind them. Oh they were idiots, yeah that I knew. Sean is talking abut everything but failing the audition for The Voice (check it on youtube, guys, it’s amazing when they ask him his name and he says “I used to be in a boyband called 5ive” LOL). Boring, I do not care about this drama, they are not even hot anymore. Make space for my guys!

And here they are, beautiful as ever: Michelle, Jessica, Kelly, Tony and Kevin. Ok, in that particular moment, I mentally went back to 13 (not so many years ago, I’m young, keep that in mind, okrrr?). They looked amazing, all grown up but they still were my Liberty X. Michelle told everything about her health issues and I can’t believe she was terrified about her look when she was always amazing, fame is such a horrible giant sometimes. Kelly and her baby boys were simply adorable, she is of course out of shape but her smile and her eyes were shining like never before. Jessica, oh my Gosh, she looked so professional in every single moment she was speaking, she hadn’t changed at all, she looks exactly like 10 years ago, amazing woman. And now the boys... Tony was my British teenage crush along with Will Young. He is also very mature now, he looks definitely more like a movie director than a singer (in fact he had more credits on the writing than on the vocals, which is nothing to be ashamed about), he doesn’t have the boy look anymore but he still looks very sweet. Now Kev, he is the one who gave me the strongest impression. He does look changed completely. He never was the guy who laughed a lot (if not on alcohol or god-knows-what) but this time he seemed very intense. His look, his voice when he was telling his part of the story, everything was intense as he could still feel the pain of some moments in the past. He definitely has something to say and I would love to hear his voice on some strong soulful tracks.

I can’t wait to see if and how well they will go back together on stage! They haven’t sung together for years and years. And funny story: they were showing some videos of the final small gig saying “too bad all our fans couldn’t be there to hear our last goodbye” and I was shouting “Hell no, Tony, I wasn’t there but those videos, I saw them thousand times on youtube saying Hello guys, I will wait for you. If only they knew how I cared for them! Ohhh, poor me, my 13 years old little boy is there enjoying this surreal show, and I will let him watch it!

Next week: Kerry Katona. I can’t miss it, I am ready for some big big funny drama!

Will I discover who 911 are?

And you guys? Who are you excited for?

Ryan Hugginz 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kimberley Walsh - Centre Stage

The Saturdays American venture: What about US?