The Saturdays American venture: What about US?


The Saturdays American venture: What about US?

One of England most popular girl-band, the Saturdays, is trying a step forward in its career, a step that a lot of pop music acts have tried to take (some successfully but the most inefficaciously): make it in America. For what concerns all-girls groups, we can say that the one (and only?) who made it were the “Spice Girls”. 




I think that The Saturdays are far from doing a pop revolution like that, but I firmly think that they have a plus that maybe will allow them to be known overseas. One of the things I like about them, is their being a little bit kaleidoscopic, they easily adapt to different shades of pop, making it easier to find the right combination. I also think that, even they are not that strong vocally, except for Vanessa, they are very good performers (see some extract of their Headlines Tour if you don’t believe me), and the way they are sexy without being vulgar or excessively sassy is a thing I really like about them. “What about us”, the single chosen as the “breaker” in US market is a nice pop song, catchy (Nanananana!), with nice lyrics (maybe too much autotune). Personally, I would have chosen another song, the repertoire of the girls is full of songs that would have suited better the occasion (first of all, in my opinion, “Higher”). The band  have begun a massive propaganda, they’re going to be guests in a lot of shows of E!, the network that will broadcast the reality show of the girls, “Chasing the Saturdays”. I don’t really know how and if of all this TV stuff will be able to launch their career overseas, but I think they are really trying it hard, so…who knows? One of the thing that makes me a little bit upset is the fact that probably there is not going to be a full album project behind this venture, but only an EP that will include, together with “What About Us”, 4 other songs from their previous UK releases. I hope this is not definitive, and that the project will be enriched with new tracks, because I’m really curious to hear what the new material would sound like. I think The Saturdays has got potential, they look very nice and fresh, and I think that this would be a nice occasion to export overseas what modern brit-pop sounds like.
Good luck girls!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leona Lewis - Glassheart